Black Eyed Beans Stir Fry : Sri Lankan Breakfast
This Black Eyed Beans Stir Fry is a popular Sri Lankan Breakfast and it is easy to cook.Also called as black eyed peas or cowpea,this beans are packed with protein and other nutrients.
- 2 cups Black eyed beans
- 2 tbsp Red chili flakes
- 2 nos Dried red chili
- 2 sprigs Curry leaves
- 1 piece rampe
- 1 no medium sized onion sliced
- 1 tspn mustard seeds
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- salt as per taste
To prepare this Black-eyed beans stir fry, you need boiled or cooked beans.
First boil soaked black eyed beans until soft.
Drain the water. Keep aside.
Heat 1-2 tbsp. oil in a pan.
When oil is hot, add mustard seeds.
When mustard seeds start popping up, add onion.
At the time onions are emitting aroma and become tender add curry leaves.
Stir well. Add dried red chilli. Add a piece of Rampe to the mix.
Then add chili flakes & mix.
Finally add boiled black eyed beans.
Mix well. Add and adjust salt to taste.
Tempered black-eyed peas are ready to serve.
- Always Plan your cooking the day before. So, you can soak black eyed beans overnight. It will reduce the cooking time.
- Add a pinch of baking soda when you soak in water. This step will help to soften the black eyed beans.
- Add salt to the water when you cook or boil black eyed peas. It will add flavor to the beans.
- Don’t throw the drained water from black eyed beans. Why? You can use the boiled black eyed beans water in the curry, if you plan it as a curry. In Sri Lanka, we use this water as a healthy drink. So, you can even drink it or use in a soup.
- You can freeze boiled black eyed beans in the freezer. So, you have black eyed beans ready when you want to cook. I usually freeze this peas and have tried up to 1 month. Good for working moms and better than canned beans.