This Nonya Achchar is always good with chinese fried rice.It is bit spicy & sour too.
- 500g cucumber, cut in to pieces,(remove the soft centre)
- 150g cabbage leaves, cut into small squares
- 150g carrots, cut into strips
- 150g long beans, cut into strips
- 200g cauliflower, cut into small pieces
- 50g dried prawns, soaked and pounded
- 3 red chillies halved & cut into pieces
- 3 green chillies halved & cut into pieces
- 50g young ginger sliced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 shallots chopped
- 10 fresh chillies
- 5 dried chillies
- 10 shallots
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2cm fresh turmeric root
- 1 tbsp sliced galingale (lengkuas)
- 3 candlenuts (buah keras)
- 2cm cube toasted belacan or 1 tsp belacan powder
- 1 stalk lemon grass, sliced finely
- 100ml vinegar
- 200ml water
- 5 to 6 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 125g crushed peanut candy or 100g roasted peanuts, skinned and pounded
- 4 tbsp roasted sesame seeds
For scalding vegetables:
- 600ml water
- 400ml vinegar
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp sugar
Rub cucumber slices with 1 tbsp salt. Leave aside for one hour. Wrap in clean towel or muslin cloth and squeeze out excess liquid. Place cucumber slices on a tray and sun for two to three hours (this makes the cucumber crunchy).
For the other vegetables, sun them separately in trays for one to two hours.
Bring water, vinegar, salt and sugar for scalding vegetables to a rapid boil. Blanch the vegetables, one type at a time: dip cucumber and cabbage in boiling mixture for two to three seconds; scald the rest of the vegetables – except chillies – for eight to 10 seconds. Drain vegetables at once in a colander.
Heat oil in wok and fry the ground ingredients until fragrant and the oil begins to separate. Stir in vinegar and water. Add sugar and salt and bring to a boil, then leave to cool completely.
Stir in dried prawns, ginger, shallots and garlic and all the prepared vegetables. Remove and store in a porcelain jar or a clean, dry glass jar. When about to serve, mix in peanuts and sesame seeds.
I found this recipe from the website http://kuali.com/recipes/view.aspx?r=208 .Pl follow the link.
Love your blog and the efforts put in by you to make lovely dishes…Please do collect you awards for your blog whenever you visit my blog.
Happy to give it to foodssrilanka
Comments are closed.