Ok, I want to say I am just a beginner for cakes & cupcakes and I started to learn baking & decorating few months ago. Anyway I didn’t get any chance to bake a cake for anybody.
As my niece visited me last month & as she celebrated her birthday with us, I purposely planned to bake & decorate her cake at home. Anyway it was not very neat & tidy as we buy a cake from outside. Also it consumed some time & I found few mistakes I did. Basically I am not satisfied with the appearance of the cake. It is not very neat as I wanted.
Before going to the cake, here are the mistakes I did.
- I am not an expert & this is my 1st time of baking a cake for some other’s Birthday. But I didn’t prepare ahead. So I found that I didn’t have enough time to do the finishes nicely.
- Not only the cake, I had to prepare lunch & some other food for the party. But I started everything in the same day.
Anyway, by spending 5-6 hours continuously, I could come up with this cake & some other food for the party including baking the cake.
Our theme for the Birthday party was ‘Pink & Yellow’. Therefore I decided to decorate the cake using both colours.
Here is how I did,
For the cake
- I baked a small size simple butter cake(top part). Recipe can be found here.
- The bottom part is a Cake dummy. The reason for not baking a big cake is that we didn’t have guests other than family members. So this is my plan to not to waste or not to have left over cakes.
Decorating the cake
- I used buttercream icing.
- First I wrapped the cake dummy with a plastic wrap in order to prevent patches from food colouring or icing.
- I treated the dummy as a real cake & applied the first layer of Pink icing. Kept it in the refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile I covered the Baked Butter cake (which is already cooled on the wire rack) with yellow buttercream icing. After applying the icing, I transferred it into the fridge & took the dummy out.
- I kept the dummy on the cake board which I am going to use.
- Then using a spatula, I tried to make the icing layer thinner & neat. I used a cup of hot water & put the spatula in it before using for the decoration. This made it easier to apply icing evenly.
- Then I took the butter cake out from the fridge and kept on top of the dummy.
- Continued with decorating.
- I used the star tip for almost all the decoration & it was simple.
- However I was running out of time & I had to finish it.Sprinkled some colourful sprinkles on top of the cake.
- I could see some mistakes on the cake, but had to finish it.
- Finally I found that I haven’t plan for writing any wishes or words on the cake. But according to my choice I couldn’t find a place on the cake to write any word. Instead I used a Ribbon bow on the dummy part of the cake.
Other than the cake,I prepared some other food including chocolate covered marshmellow pops,Ham wrapped prawns,Fresh fruit kebabs,Easy cucumber appetizers,Sausage kebabs and chick pea salad.
It was a garden party & I forced my brother & sister in law to dress matching with the colours ‘Pink & Yellow’. 🙂
I normally link up with the parties linked in my Events list
Amy, the cake looks very lovely dear, only you can see the faults, and the picture of the day looks very nice..
Sis-in law is a charming lady.. 🙂
Amy..Its ur first effort to decor a cake,wow..FAB!!!
awesomely done….ur niece looks really cute..shes so lucky to have an aunt like u 🙂
Good job dear!!!!
wow gud job!!!simply superb….lucky kid!!
Wow that was really so sweet of you…U have done amazingly your first birthday cake decoration.
Keep going girl..
Beautifully done cake…Nice clicks..
Amy, birthday cake looks great dear. Loved the way u set the table of cake n food, u have done an amazing job for ur niece bday. nice pic of the day n ur niece is a cutie pie 🙂
Great job,gorgeous and tempting cake.
Lovely cake, dear! I couldn’t have noticed any mistakes. It looks just perfect!
Can’t believe you did it whole!! Talented lady, you just rock with your baking talents. 🙂
Wow superb job. Happy birthday to the kid. I am sure she enjoyed her party and was more interested in the taste of the cake(read icing) than where you went wrong. She will remember her aunt celebrating her birthday in grand style. Lucky kid.
Looks absolutely lovely… you are extremely talented and impressive..!
wow dear, that was really a nice attempt
Wow..Looking really yumm..U made it perfectly..
It looks great! Especially for your first cake. My first cake didn’t look that good! You are your own worst critic, most mistakes that you can see, others don’t. They see a beautiful cake that you worked hard on!
Very pretty laid up table & looks great,Amy..Doesn’t seem a first timer frosting..very nicely done & perfect!!
not bad at all, and the birthday girl looks really happy:)
Good job Amy..the cake looks lovely 🙂
Aparna from Square Meals
hi amy, red and yellow is a great combination.. great for kids..happy belated birthday to him and have a nice day to you
Hats off to your Bro for wearing a pink shirt.. Mr. Ash would kill me if I suggest the color then my kids would do the same…Hats off to you also for the cake.. it looks professional and well made. NO flaws can be seen and icing looks perfect. Happy Birthday Little Angel.
What an adorable Birthday Girl! Your cake is just awesome, my first one never looked that good. That is a beautiful cake! Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday. Hope you have a great week end and come back soon!
your cake looks so cute…you know my first icing was a blooper…u r far far better than me for sure 🙂
You have managed to do the cake nicely even though it’s your first attempt.Good Job !
happy b day to your sweet darling little Amy..
awesome try with lovely decor…cake looks very inviting..;)
Well done! I cannot believe this is your first cake decorative adventure. Well done!
Gorgeous cake and decor, Amy!! Everything looks amazing 🙂 You’re so talented!!
Looks great!! Much better than any of mine ever!! Happy to have you at Things I’ve Done Thursday! http://www.bearrabbitbear.com
Turned out awesome! You did a really great job 🙂 Thanks so much for sharing at Taking A Timeout Thursday!
Comments are closed.