No single type of cream is best for desserts, as the ideal choice will depend on several factors. These include the desired texture and flavour of the dessert and any dietary restrictions or food allergies that need to be considered. However, heavy cream is one of the most popular choices when making decadent desserts like cheesecakes and ice creams. This article will discuss why heavy cream is often considered the best option for preparing these treats.
Heavy cream has a rich and creamy flavour that works exceptionally well with sweeter treats like cheesecakes and ice creams. The full-bodied flavour adds a luxurious note to these desserts, enhancing their overall appeal and making them feel even more indulgent.
In addition to its rich and creamy flavour, heavy cream also has a smooth and velvety texture that further enhances the mouthfeel of dessert recipes. It allows it to blend in seamlessly with other ingredients, creating a silky and irresistible texture that is hard to resist.
Another critical reason why heavy cream is often considered to be the best choice for desserts is that it is effortless to incorporate into recipes. It is ideal for beginners with little experience working with dairy products or cooking techniques.
In addition to its rich flavour and smooth texture, heavy cream also works exceptionally well with other ingredients in dessert recipes. It allows you to create unique combinations that taste great without sacrificing the quality or richness of the final dish.
If you are making a cheesecake or ice cream, consider adding some heavy cream to the base of your recipe. It will ensure that the finished dessert has a rich and creamy texture that is difficult to resist.
You can also use heavy cream as a topping for desserts like cakes, pies, and tarts. Whip up some heavy cream until soft peaks form, and then spread it over the top of your dessert for an indulgent finishing touch.
Another great way to incorporate heavy cream into your dessert recipes is to use it as a filling. It can be especially effective when making pies, tarts, and other baked goods, as the heavy cream’s rich flavour and creamy texture add a touch of sophistication that will impress any guests.
If you want to create a lighter and fluffier texture, consider using heavy cream that has been whipped with cream chargers. These devices help incorporate air into the heavy cream to make it even more light and fluffy, creating an airy and luxurious texture that is hard to resist.
Best heavy cream recipes
Creamy Cheesecake With Fresh Berry Sauce
- 1 lb cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup heavy cream
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 4 cups fresh berries (raspberries, strawberries, blueberries)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and lightly grease a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat together the cream cheese and heavy cream until smooth and creamy.
- Add the granulated sugar and vanilla extract and continue beating until well combined.
- Add in the eggs one at a time, mixing well after each addition.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan and bake for 40-50 minutes, or until the cheesecake is set in the centre.
- Make the fresh berry sauce by combining the fresh berries with a pinch of granulated sugar and mashing them together using a fork.
- Top the baked cheesecake with the berry sauce and enjoy.
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- 3 tbsp flour
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 4 oz grated cheese (Parmesan, Cheddar, Gruyère)
- 4 eggs, separated into yolks and whites
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×13-inch baking dish with butter.
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter, add the flour, and whisk together until combined. Add in the heavy cream, constantly stirring until it begins to thicken.
- Remove from heat and stir in the grated cheese until melted.
- Separate the eggs, placing the yolks in one bowl and the whites in another.
- Add the egg yolks to the cheese mixture and stir well until combined.
- Beat the egg whites using an electric mixer until stiff peaks form, and then fold them into the cheese mixture gently until just combined, being careful not to deflate them too much.
- Pour into your prepared baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown on top and puffed up right through. Serve with crispy bacon on top if desired.