Cutlets are one of the famous Sri Lankan short eats.Short eats are snacks or appetizers which Sri Lankans eat for tea time or in between meals.Mostly Sri Lankan cutlets are cooked with a stuffing of tinned fish and potato.However this can be prepared with potato and other veggies to make it vegetarian.By adding some green chillies and black pepper,you can easily make this as a hot and spicy snack. 🙂
If you like to prepare the cutlets ahead of time and keep in the freezer,you can do so.Prepare the cutlets and cover with bread crumbs till those are ready to deep fry.Then keep in a container and store in the freezer.When you want cutlets,it is easy to deep fry some of the cutlets from the freezer!
In Sri Lanka we also like Chinese rolls which is a bit similar snack.
Click for the latest images of step by step instructions on how to make Sri Lankan Fish Cutlets
Recipe : Cutlets (Sri Lankan Style)
- 1 x small flaked light Tuna/or sardine
- 1 small Onion chopped
- 1 green Chili chopped
- 1 spring curry leaves (optional)
- 1 piece Rampe (optional)
- 1 piece Cinnamon
- 1/2 inch Ginger root (crushed)
- 4 cloves Garlic (crushed)
- 2 tbs Vegetable oil
- Salt, Pepper and Cardamom powder (optional) to taste.
- 2-3 medium Potatoes boiled, skinned and cut into pieces.
- Two Eggs (beaten)
- Toasted bread crumbs (ground)
- Oil for deep frying
- Drain the can of tuna.
- Heat the oil in a skillet (frying pan).
- Add crushed ginger and garlic, stir, add onions, green chili, curry leaves, Rampe and cinnamon.
- Cook until the onions are tender light brown.
- Add drained tuna, stir all together.
- Allow to cook for a few minutes.
- Add salt, pepper and cardamom powder.
- Stir until well mixed.
- Turn off heat.
- Add potatoes and mix well.
- Separate the mix and shape in to small balls as shown below.
- Coat the balls with beaten egg and then with the toasted bread crumbs.
- Deep fry in hot oil until the crust is light brown.
- Cutlets are great with rice & curry or even as a snack for tea time.
- If you serve as a snack ,then serve with tomato ketchup or chili sauce.